Wednesday 16 June 2010






Dan Eldon






I have known of Dan Eldon's work before, and i have always liked his working style, Dan Eldon created these journals between the ages of 15 & 22, these journals explored his trips to Kenya, these journals where documented by collage, photography, newspaper clippings, call girl cards picked up in London, food labels and even grains of rice. On July, 12, 1993 Dan Eldon & three of his colleagues raced across Somolia to cover a bombing that was thought to be General Aideed's headquarters, in the confusion of this the three men and Dan Eldon were clubbed, beaten and stoned to death by an angry mob furious about the death of over 50 of there friends. I feel this was a sad end to Dan Eldon since that his journals and photography was so beautiful and different.

I find the way that Dan Eldon's work is very humorous and colourful. I love the way that he plays with imagery and text and how he captures the bright colours and style and culture of Kenya and also the way that he explores different ways of collage by using techniques of overlaying text, imagery and ripping imagery as well as taring different newspapers. I am intrigued by his work because of the unique style that he has adapted over the years. When i think his work can relate to this summer brief, i think of the different colours that he uses since Africa has a use of a lot of bold colours and a lot of unusual flowers etc. The reason i have chose to look at Dan Eldon's work because recently i have been thinking about the environment and the effects that it can have.

At the moment my mind is mad with different ideas and thoughts by the different things i want to explore within sketchbooks i have started to experiment in different ways such as Traveling to places and looking at them in a different way and documenting this by photography and exploring the different urban surroundings.

This something i have found difficult in the past with my work, I have felt that i need to be safe within my work and focus on one thing to feel safe. I think now i need to push myself to be more open with ideas and thoughts that i have and document them and not to leave idea's or thoughts that i have because they made be useful in the past. I think will be a learning curve for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment