Tuesday 1 June 2010

Dorothy Bohm 'A World Observed 1940-2010'





Dorothy Bohm

I recently went to the Manchester City Art Gallery to visit the ‘A World Observed 1940-2010’ by Dorothy Bohm this is the first retrospective exhibition to trace Dorothy Bohm’s photography career. This was also my first time i saw her work, this exhibition really inspired me. I really enjoyed walking around the gallery spaces with all the different photography, that was based on talking photographs that Dorothy Bohm had taken while traveling, there was photography from different places featuring culture and real environments, This made me think of how I could take more interesting photographs for my own research.

This exhibition was really different to some of the exhibitions I have been to, the colours and different surroundings had excited me and made think about how I could use more colour within my work or designs, since my work seems to have a similar colour palette.

I enjoyed her works from the ‘Still Life’ collection and the photography from France. When looking at these images, they looked unusual and different. I felt that her photography from ‘Still Life’ had a sense of Surrealism by Dorothy Bohm uses manikins and windows within her work.

I liked the vintage quality of her photographs in her use of colour and placement; this is something I could think about within my own work and ideas. Colour is a strong area within Dorothy Bohm’s work and this is something I could include this in my work. I always stick to the same colour pallette, being brave with my colours use.

My choice of colour pallette will be a mixture of cool bold colours. This exhibition has made me think about how I could develop my primary research in photography interesting: Looking further at composition, angles taken and focus which I explored in the flora photos I achieved using the close up function, a central focus that caused the perifery to fall out of focus.


No comments:

Post a Comment